Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mary and Martha

The sermon hit me again on Sunday. Mary and Martha. Busyness and sitting. Hospitality - perceived needs and true needs. As a person growing up on the tail end of the Baby Boomers, hospitality always included food. It always meant the house being neat and tidy. It meant offering above and beyond what was in the house. So I get that Abraham and Martha did all those things they thought were necessary to make a guest "feel at home." But Mary, somehow she knew where her place was to be - not scurrying, not hurrying, not giving orders - just sitting and listening. Hearing of Jesus's travels, people he met, things he did, teachings he gave.

Then I recall a retreat I attended with Mary and Martha as our theme. I'm a Martha (Type A personality) right down the line. It bothered me that I thought Martha was doing all the right things, those things expected of her and I was left to think about that during the night. I dreamed and when I awoke, the answer was there. As clear as day, I heard "but I could have had a grilled cheese sandwich." Something simple. Something that wouldn't take too much time. Something that would have allowed you to come and be with me.

Jesus was not coming to their house to check for dust bunnies or see if all the laundry was done. He was coming to spend time with them. To re-new himself, to visit. And just maybe, have a grilled cheese sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment